Monday 19 November 2012

TASK 2 Reflective Practitioner

I have started my journal, and after reading the reader the way I am thinking and reflecting is a lot more observant now. I teach part time whilst auditioning and attending class myself for extra training, so I thought the best way I could write a journal would be through following my classes I teach myself,  and how I feel when learning in a dance class when training.

I have always loved dancing since a young age and I never get bored when in a class because I am continuously learning in a kinaesthetic way and I am always active. However when in a class where I am writing or taking notes my attention spam seems to drift and after the class I can only remember about 50 percent of what I learnt from beginning to end. Although in a dance class I can remember everything. After researching and looking back on my journal I have realised that 90 percent of the time I am kinaesthetically learning which I have always been used too and is an easy way for my brain to take in new things that I learn.
After attending a contemporary dance class looking back on my journal, I was aware that I was going to be learning kinaesthetically, thinking that this was a bad thing but after looking at Howard Gardner's idea it didn't seem such a bad thing as everyone learns differently and can be intelligent in a number of ways. Although dancing is a very kineasthetic based learning style, I realized that in the class I was using a number of different skills to enhance my ways of learning for e.g. spatial awareness when dancing among others, musical awareness, logical awareness when counting beats or counts for movement and audio learning through understanding instructions and visual from watching what movement should look like before attempting the movement myself.

This made me aware that as humans we learn in many different ways in order to turn experience into learning, and it is not bad if one style of learning only suits you and not another person. It will always work in your favor as it expands your intelligence in a number of ways in learning without even realizing.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Isla,
    I have a feeling you may have found your feet with your blogging here and what a fabulous discovery to make!
    I also found that knowing about how people learn differently effected my teaching as well. It will be interesting to see if we come across any similarities or differences.
    Jess.

    ReplyDelete