Friday 5 April 2013

4a

During my journal writing and looking back on my previous modules, I have had a lot of time to reflect on many questions that will help my professional inquiry. Looking back on task 2d I found myself in a place where I slowly was loosing my confidence through auditions after training. After meeting lots of people in the industry and people who inspire me in my profession, it has made me remember why I chose this particular career and what I am striving for. Below I have put together some questions that regularly play on my mind and I am eager to find out answers too, would love your feedback.


  1. How do you apply analysis to texts in a play ?
  2. How do you create a sense of reality to your character?
  3. How can you become a successful actress as well as a dancer?
  4. How important is it to have an agent in the industry?
  5. do you feel it is more luck  or hard work to get your foot in the door?
  6. how do you keep positive after many knock back in the audition process?







2 comments:

  1. Hey Isla just been reading your questions, made up to finally find someone who's looking at the acting side as well, not that I don't love dance but as you said acting is mainly where my passion lies...
    When I first read a play I try not to over analyse it, this will hopefully come with time. I firstly like to get a feel for the play as a whole and just do a straight read through, I then make character notes of the character that I want to study and any relationship he has with the other characters. These tend to be rather general and just little bits that I have stud out to me. I then like to pick 3 key scenes where my character appears. I then analyse these scenes in depth, how my character is feeling, where has he come from to end up in this situation, what emotion is he portraying to the out side world, does this differ to what he is feeling on the inside, how would he hold himself, what gestures would he maybe do? This just helps me build a starting point so I can go into rehearsals with something to build upon. I always like to have a conversation with the director after this procedure just to make sure we are on the same page about the direction we would like to character to move in. This also ties in with your second question. Again it all depends on the type of play to which techniques I call upon, the majority of my preferred work tends to be abstract drama so I use a lot of Brecht techniques but when the play is naturalistic I tend to use the rules of Stan to help create a strong, realistic and believable character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Jonathan thanks for your feedback, and yes is great to meet someone with lots of passion for acting as well, hopefully we can help each other out on this path. Your feedback on the questions above are great and are really helpful with my inquiry. Your feedback relates to the first two questions and is really helpful for the direction I want to take my Inquiry in. I wanted to try and link the two questions together. What do you think of the inquiry heading to the question "How to become a successful actress/actor?
    I feel I can link all theses areas in of analysing scenes, and teachniques to use as an actor/actress on stage etc.
    Thanks for getting back to me and the great feedback.

    ReplyDelete