Wednesday 10 April 2013

developing my lines of inquiry reflection process

Over the last few days I have been networking with other actors in the industry and casting directors. I met up with a friend from college on Friday who has successfully made it on to a recent film and has luckily got herself in the door quite quickly after graduating.
As well as finding out information from lots of actors, I asked her the questions I blogged recently on my inquiry just to find out ways I could develop these questions further to my interest and find out more information relating to my chosen areas.

What I found interesting was asking her How do you become a successful actress?
She literally opened so many areas which made me see sense of what she was saying and how it worked especially for her after graduating.
A main focus point she said in the discussion was networking, which just sums up the BAPP course as a whole. I didn't realize until hearing it from her mouth how important it was, and it especially worked for her. Also she talked about keeping yourself "fresh" as an actor. By the meaning of this she meant to be successful you don't only have to network but you need to keep up with your acting skills and keep going to classes, as like dancing without training you can easily loose for e.g. flexibility and technique. As is with acting and becoming an actress in the industry. Another thing she mentioned was having the right photograph and how important it is for it to look like you. The photo is the first thing the casting director see's and this will be the main product that sells you for the job, therefore the photos should be up to date and done by a good photographer with good lighting. She mentioned above all the photos should look natural and not edited too much or for a female have to much make up on,  because with simple things like make up they can add this to you on the job, and can be very off putting in a head-shot. Above all the head-shot should look like you.
Finally she stated that as an actor/actress you are a "PRODUCT" and you have to sell yourself as one. This means marketing yourself in a way you would like to be perceived from your look/character down to mannerisms on a film set or in any place at any time among others in the industry.

She was very inspiring to talk to and has made me go away and look at ways I can become a successful actress and further my inquiry.I was very lucky to meet up with her as she is always so busy in the industry now and she has given me some great tips for the start of my journey.

This is another person that is part of a network in the industry, and I will carry on networking in this way with lots of other actors.






No comments:

Post a Comment